Aimed at senior, commercially-focused business leaders, this one-day course provides and invaluable overview of the business of power (electricity) supply. With an eye firmly on the future of the business, the course explains variability in both demand and supply, the economics of balancing the two and how the impact of new aspects such as renewable power and “smart” systems changes things.
From the programme you will learn how to:
- Anticipate energy price fluctuations brought about by market balancing.
- Understand the pricing of power in wholesale and retail markets.
- Plan for the role of peak demand and incidences of power economics.
This one day workshop style session covers four topics:
- Power demand variability over different timescales
- Key drivers to inhibitors of demand
- The pricing of power, including wholesale v retail determinants
- Understanding the key role of peak demand levels and incidences of power economics
- The underlying costs of power generation, including emerging sources of supply
- How power markets match supply with demand, and how it determines power prices
- The variability of power supply options: myths and truths
- Energy power sources and “keeping the lights on”
- The impact of smart meters and grids on future power delivery and pricing
- Reviewing the key components of the power system and “the grid”
- Key objectives of “smart” systems and the “Energy internet of things”
- Types and locations of smart components
Grid-edge and End-user impacts
- The impact of increased levels of distributed generation and energy storage
- Demand response mechanisms and business opportunities
- How smart systems create opportunities for future price innovation
- Emerging and future industry structure and business model changes
Who should do the course?
Senior leadership teams with a strategic interest in the changing nature of power supply, in particular its economics and pricing. No prior knowledge is assumed or required.
When’s the next course?
Workshops are held at clients location accommodating up to 15-20 delegates. To arrange call GAIA on 01572 729512 or email [email protected]
How much does it cost?
What delegates have said about the training
I had the pleasure of working with John for a number of years and can genuinely say he’s one of the most professional and knowledgeable people I know. His ability to analyse extremely complex information and ensure people at any level, from entry-level, to board-level, can understand and use that information is second to none. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend John to anybody who is looking for the best of the best in energy analysis, training or advice.