2017 is full of opportunities for Energy Managers to make a difference. As legislation is being simplified, the role the energy manager is moving towards energy and carbon reduction and away from compliance. This is great news as it means less paperwork and more time to work on investments …….…Well almost! There is a problem that needs to be addressed.
In our discussions with HM’s Government in 2016 it was apparent that it saw a problem in that the market is resistant to making longer term energy reduction investments (5+ years). And unless it can help address this issue, we Energy Managers will continue to be constrained in our long term effectiveness.
So what could Government do to help overcome this resistance? With this challenge in mind the GAIA Energy Clubs debated and came up with an idea, which we’ve called the Levy Rebate Scheme.
For it to be adopted, we thought that any scheme would have to be attractive to both HMG and Energy Managers, so for HMG it would have to be:
- Focussed in that it would only address the resistance to long term investments.
- Simple/cheap to administer.
- Revenue neutral in neither increasing nor decreasing the overall tax burden on the market.
Energy Managers it would have to:
- Be simple to explain and easy to operate.
- Encourage long term investment decisions to be made quickly by creating a ‘take it or leave’ incentive.
Have your say on the idea: Click here to watch a mini video have your say.